postcard by R. Land
My Dad and his brothers have been passing around this Forest Park trivia game that started on Facebook. I'm including the answers that have been proposed so far. I love the urban legends and insider knowledge (see #1, 8, 10, 16, 18, 26, 39), but the majority of these fond memories are of businesses that have come and gone. Funny how retail history becomes our shared culture. In 30 years, will we reminisce about Circuit City?
1) What made traffic back up after Thanksgiving on North Avenue?
The huge Santa in the Emerson's front window
2) Where did most parades start and end?
Grant City Shopping Center
3) What was the original name of Fort Gilliam?
The Atlanta Army Depot
4) There were three Drive-In Theaters in Forest Park. Name them.
South Expressway and Thunderbird
5) What was the name of the restaurant at the end of Main Street before you entered Mountain View?
6) What was the name of the snack bar at Richway?
7) If you were a kid in FP in the '60s or '70s most likely who was your doctor?
Dr. Stone, Dunbar or McClellan and Dr. Kim was part of that practice for awhile
8) What was the urban legend about Judge Reynolds' Property?
He'd shoot you.
9) Name the first home improvement store/ lumber yard on old Dixie.
West Lumber – I think West was on Forest Parkway across from the market. Longinos became Wickes
10) Name the man in the late 70's or early 80's that walked around FP real fast (speedy, walking man).
I can't remember his real name but was known as the Walking Man and was hit by a car and killed in 1999.
11) Name the only year FPHS won a state title in football.
It was in the '50s and Charley Griswell was the star player for the team.
12) Where in Forest Park did Johnny's pizza open before moving to Virginia Ave. by the airport?
13) What year was the first FPHS opened?
1951, I think.
14) Who wrote the words to our fight song and where did it come from?
I heard that Lloyd Tarpley, Florida State alum, wrote it
15) What ever happened to the cannon that sat out by the flag pole?
16) From Forest Park Who dated Elvis Presley and was on Hee- Haw?
Diana Goodman - class of 69
17) Where Super X used to be they had the haunted house that Clayton Community Church would do every year, what was it called?
Trail of Terror
18) What did the hippy at the corner of Old Dixie and Morrow Road sale?
19) What was the name of the restaurant inside Grant's department store?
20) What was the name of forest parkway before it was a 4 lane?
21) Where is the oldest church in Forest park?
22) Where was the giant slide located? (Not the water slide)
23) What was the name of the water slide in Forest Park?
24) What was the name of the mobile restaurant in Clayton Plaza?
25) What is the name of the largest baseball filed at the Forest Park Rec?
26) In the '70s how much did it cost to enter Forest Park outdoor pool, and what form of I.D. needed?
25 cents and a FP recreation card and the Avengers ran the place.
27) Name the restaurant that was built in front of the bowling alley on Old Dixie Hwy in the '70s.
28) Name the restaurant inside the Farmers Market before it was Davis Brothers.
29) Where was the place you could drive slot cars?
30) Name the hobby store in Clayton plaza.
31) Name the department store on 54 going north just over the bridge to I-285 in Forest Park.
32) Name old department store just before I-285, what could you "drive thru" to pick up?
33) Name the Donut shop that was across the street from Clayton Plaza Shopping Center.
Mister Donut and it was won on a Game Show in Hollywood.
34) Name the Steak Restaurant that was across the street from the 54 entrance to Ft. Gilliam.
35) What was the name of the Veterinary Clinic on the corner of Jonesboro Road and Watts Road?
Ford Animal Clinic
36) Where was the indoor Forest Park Theater Located?
It's across the street from Crumbley Tire and has been a Bar and a Church - go figure
37) What was the name of the restaurant at the old A&P shopping center off main street?
Anne & Bill's or Forrest House
38) What was the name of the book store in Grant's City?
Eller News Center
39) Peter's Woods are the home of what?
40) If you lived in FP in the '70s and '80s where did you go the night of July 4th?
41) What was the original name of Forest Park?
42) What kind of barn was on Main Street?
43) What was the name of the stop-n-go type store on Main Street?
44) For many years all seventh graders went to Fountain Junior High. Why?
Integration. It was a Clayton County Board of Education experiment. In hopes that they could exorcise the Middle School demons prior to Junior High School. And to think that folks think the CCPS Board problems are new...
45) Who had a shop on Main Street and probably took your Senior portraits? Pete Smith
46) If you got a traffic ticket in the late '70s or early '80s who most likely would be your judge if you went to court?
47) At FPSH what did the cheerleaders sell on game day?
48) What was the name of the group that ran the school store?
49) What was the name and the location of the pool hall in FP?
Main Street A&P
50) In the Southlake 2 complex where the movie theater was, there was a British pub what was its name?